Question: Can the micro-inverter (in the GridFree installation) work in an island mode against some sine wave DC/AC generator? (e.g. in parallel with my own independent 230V island system)?
Answer: No, the microinverter in most cases will not work with in such mode. There are several reasons:
1) For legal and safety reasons the microinverter works only when connected to a real 230V AC grid. The inverter will start working only after detecting the presence of the real 230V AC grid power line. It will not start working with some simulated 230V AC power system.
2) The inverter must meet the exact requirements for the European 230V AC grid based on the strict settings given by the EN50438. The inverter must stop working if the specifications of the grid do not match the parameters given by this standard. For this reason the invertor will not work with some independent 230V island systems. Additionally the strict requirements of the EN50438 make the inverters non-functional in countries, where the quality of the grid is poor and unstable.
3) For safety and legal reasons the micro-inverter works only in grid-tied mode. The island mode is not supported and trying to experiment with such operation is against the warranty conditions for this product.
4) Trying to connect to the input of DC/AC off grid inverter will most like result in burning the output of this equipment, since these products are designed to provide energy to the load and they are not designed to handle to receipt of energy from a parallel source.
5) The impedance, voltage a power ratings of the real grid are far beyond the possibilities to emulate these in some small installations. Each microinverter contains high-tech protection and grid detection components. The inverter will not start when the real grid is not detected.
The MicroInverters work only with the 230V AC real grid that meets the limits of the specifications given by the EU standards. For technical, safety and other reasons the inverters cannot work against a simulated (local) power source. Additionally the MicroInverters are not allowed and cannot work in an island mode.